[CQ-Contest] Sort of a pirate - Field Day

To: "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sort of a pirate - Field Day
From: "Rick Mintz" <Rmintz@Rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:06:55 -0400
Was just told by my fellow club members that a station was using my call on 75
meters during Field Day - W1TY

When finally giving the phonetics he clearly said Quebec India. How that gets
to TY is beyond me.

I was operating from the NNY section as K2NNY.

I hope the practice that Field Day offers finally pays off for that operator.

de Rick W1TY

FYI, while operating SSB over FD, we heard "you," W1TY, calling CQ -- I think
it was 75 -- Dave was operating, and I wasn't there at the start. Dave reported
that he'd called the guy, at first thinking it was you and some group using
your call, so said "I thought you guys were in NNY???. Guy said, nope. So Dave
asked how they got to use the call. They responded it was the club call for
over 20 years! Not quite knowing what to do what that, Dave signed and called
me over.

We all listened over and over. Absolutely no question. Clear as a bell. W1TY.
Not phonetics -- "W 1 T Y." And not DY or anything else -- TY. So I asked if
he'd ever used phonetics? Nope. (This is after 15+ minutes!) So we called him
back and asked for phonetics. Get this: W1 Quebec India!!! We were
flabbergasted!  HOW could QI ever become TY? We couldn't even force it!

So, be aware--you might be getting some QSLs!!!