Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:24:28 -0400
On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Eric Hilding wrote:

> When one is operating a CW contest at 35WPM (+/-), the last thing
> in the world ya want to do is to have to take your hands off the
> keyboard or paddles and screw around with a mouse to activate and/
> or scroll around in a another computer window ;-(

I can think of two responses two this, both of which remind me
strongly of the late W4AN.

The first would be to paraphrase another of Bill's statements, "If
you are going to stop in the middle of a run a check an internet
contest scoreboard, you are losing."

The second came from a statement at his funeral, that Bill often had
a second computer and would send Instant Messages to several of his
buddies during a contest -- he'd be chatting in IM while operating
the contest.

So, in this one example, I don't see that your statement has any
force. If you are busy operating in a contest, then it would be
foolish to mess around with a contest scoreboard. Further, it's clear
that some top-notch contest operators are capable of operating full
speed and doing other things at the same time.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901