Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules forHQstnsinIARUcontest ?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules forHQstnsinIARUcontest ?
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 06:06:31 -0500
Mario's reference to the recent World Cup soccer competition points out
precisely what the problem is in both activities. Is this simply human
nature?

Instead of competing fairly, and winning by being the better competitor, the
objective has shifted to figuring out how to bend the rules and not get
caught, or how to exploit loopholes in the rules to win. In soccer, players
routinely pretend to be hit, or exaggerate incidental contact feigning
injury, and dive to the ground in an attempt to cause a penalty to be called
on the other team.

Now, we have allegations of "sabotage" in the WRTC. It seems much more
likely to me that these alleged incidences of sabotage are actually just
examples of getting caught cheating by pre-arranging for the "phantom" qsos
for the competitors, as well as for the HQ stations - all of which are
nearly impossible for the judges to detect or prove.

DF3KV is right, those 1100 Germans did not appear on the bands just to work
DA0HQ. Rather, other stations "fed" those 1100 calls to DA0HQ to load up the
DA0HQ logs with qsos that were not made with the callsign holders. These
"phantom" qsos are cheating and being dishonest! Isn't this obvious?

How do we guard against this reprehensible practice? Why is there so much
desire to cheat? Where is the glory in winning if you cheat?

73,

Bob W5OV