Re: [CQ-Contest] 1973 SS CW

To: CQ-Contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1973 SS CW
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:08:56 -0700
My first non-novice SS was about a year later (1974). Rig was SB-401
and SB-303. Still have them. They need work.
I would have been on as either WA4FIB/5 or WB5KQJ from Louisiana.

I remember making good use of being able to hear three or four
stations at the same time. Somehow I was
able to copy them and simply lined them up for very quick QSOs. This
worked both on CW and SSB. With
tighter filters we can't hear as many stations - I wonder if maybe we
have lost something there.

On Jul 20, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Tree wrote:

> 2. Man - the filters on the radios I used are nothing compared to
> what I
> am used to today.  There were two or three stations in my passband
> almost
> all of the time.  Also, some people seemed to be calling me pretty
> far from
> my frequency.  Maybe the 75A3 I was using did have better settings,
> but I
> had chosen to keep things wide open - I don't know.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB