[CQ-Contest] Blood clots in the legs

To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Blood clots in the legs
From: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:19:04 -0400
Please excuse the bandwidth on this topic but it might be useful to others:

Years ago, I started getting unexplained blood clots in my legs and even
had one pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung) as a result of one of
these events.

About 5 years ago, finally, a hematology study was performed to see if the cause
could be determined.

It was discovered, and an only recently diagnosed condition (~1995) that turns
out
to be one of the most common blood disorders known, that it is Factor Five
Leiden.

It causes the blood to clot more often then normal and the only treatment is
lifetime coumadin (blood thinners).

If you think blood clots are occurring more than they should, testing is
recommended.

Aspirin and compression stockings may be helpful but they might be masking a
more
significant condition.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX@msn.com<mailto:K1PX@msn.com>