Re: [CQ-Contest] Blood clots in the legs

To: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>,"cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blood clots in the legs
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:11:50 -0400
Hi Jim:
Like you say "Leiden Factor V" or "Factor Five Leiden" is a fairly common
blood disorder. Unfortunately it is seldom diagnosed.
Being newly discovered (about 10 years ago), most Doctors don't run a blood
screen for it unless the patient exhibits symptoms such as yours.

"Leiden Factor V" is a hereditary disease, so all of your brothers and
sisters and their offspring should be screened.

In my family's case, my youngest Brother-in-Law had leg clots like you.
He was finally diagnosed with "Leiden Factor V". His Hematologist was up
on the disorder and recommended all the family be tested.

The results were 3 of the 4 surviving siblings tested positive.
All of their offspring have tested positive.

My wife is trying to get her cousins tested so she can backtrack one
more generation.

So far the diagnosis of one case of "Leiden Factor V" has lead to 8
others testing positive, with the potential for an additional 4 cases.
None of the Grand children or Cousins have been tested yet. That has the
potential of bringing the total to 33.

Some MD's will only specify the tests under duress, as in my wife's case.
He didn't know much about "Leiden Factor V" and didn't think the test was
necessary. He sure had egg on his face when she came up positive.

The good news: Even if you test Positive, it does not mean you are going
to have any problems. Many other factors may have an interactive effect.
BUT,it is something YOU should know and have in you "Medical Records" !!!

The bottom line, when you have your next Annual Physical TELL your MD that
you want to be tested for "Leiden Factor V". Don't take NO for and answer.

73
Bob, K1VU