Re: [CQ-Contest] LOUD cans

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOUD cans
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 02:58:30 +0100
Steve,

I am careful but probably run 'em a little too hot when I'm on the broadcast
radio. After 44 years in broadcasting and 25 years as a ham I still have most
of my hearing...save some high frequency loss. Probably the more damaging
factor as far as my hearing is the Ohio Valley weather. I occasionally have
severe sinus and inter-ear problems...and an occasional bout with
labrynthitis...which is NOT fun.

Probably the most outrageous case of "headphone self abuse" I've ever seen was
while I was still in L.A.back in the late '70's. A friend of mine was
engineering KTNQ in Los Angeles. The "Real Don Steele" was doing afternoons and
they installed a 200 watt Crown stereo power amp just to power his cans. Talk
about making the ol' tympanic membranes bleed!

While we're on the subject of headphones and headphone systems I've been doing
more experimenting with outboard headphone amps. The solutions posted by Tree
and others are right on. An outboard amp, if configured properly, is an
effective solution. Properly setting the gain structure is the key factor.

I have an older Timewave DSP 9 which has a decent audio amp. The "ideal"
situation would be to drive this with the "fixed" "IHF line level" radio
output. Problem with the DSP 9 is that it only has a "mono" input so splitting
the main/sub rcvr audio or using the FT 1000s "diversity" receive function is
impossible.

Currently I'm experimenting with some used broadcast headphone amps, a Rolls
HP4 (if memory serves) and an Edcor "HA400". For starters I'm going to drive
these from the radio's "phones" jack. Both the Rolls is pretty noisy..the Edcor
a little better. I may try replacing caps and stiffening the power supply in
the Edcor...or powering the Rolls with a gel cell. Once the s/n is satisfactory
I'll drive the amp from the SO2R control box. Another option might be a Mackie
or Beringer mixer...just use the headphone amp. I strongly believe that noise
up in the "super audio" (16 khz and up) range, while imperceptible, can be a
major cause of fatigue...especially over a contest weekend. Roll off everything
above about 5 khz.

...and BTW, the Who was my favorite band starting way back...and who still
apparently has most of his hearing and produces some of the best concert audio?
(thanks in no small part to Bob Heil).... Joe Walsh!

73, Mark, K9GX