Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

To: jimk8mr@aol.com;, radiosporting@yahoo.com;,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]
From: "Dale Putnam" <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:58:58 -0600
Jim makes a good point, and I have often wondered how the geographical
differences weighed in, have tried many times to study the "other"
station and learn. Without taking to stand that nothing west of the Mississippi
can win... that logic becomes "location, location, location" and
skill seems to take a back seat. I've been told many times that I have "the
biggest signal on the band" during non contest times... then in the
contest... an hour later.. the same station or one very close can't hear me. So
it can't be just the propagation between here and there... it has also be the
local propagation, the NVIS, that covers the "others".
But you know... when it all gets totaled up... I know what I did, this year,
last year, last contest, which antenna worked or didn't, what technique worked,
or didn't, and why. Keeping my focus on things that I can control, remedy, and
correct, allows me to focus on getting better.
It would be nice to know what the other station was setup as, to compare what
he was doing and what I was hearing... to be able to learn how my setup reacts
and to make adjustments to improve.
Thanks for the bandwidth,
C U in the next test,--...   ...--Dale - WC7S in Wy

> From: Jimk8mr@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:04:21 -0400> To:
> radiosporting@yahoo.com; cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest]
> Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]> >  > In a message dated
> 7/28/2006 9:24:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  > radiosporting@yahoo.com
> writes:> > > If  you knew this about each participant...you could> easily
> compare your  results to other similarly> equipped stations.  Are there any
> other  factors that I> may have overlooked?> > > > > Probably the biggest one
> of all.>  > Location. >  > The quality of propagation on paths to areas with
> the most contest  activity. >  This includes both qso activity (number of
> people active)  and multiplier > activity (number of different multipliers
> active).>  > In DX contests from the USA this means the path to Europe. From
> outside the > USA it means the path to Europe and North America.>  > In
> domestic USA contests the differences are less pronounced, but mainly  > it's
> the path to the
 Northeastern quarter of the country.>  > In VHF contests this means the path
to the northeast. Mostly this requires  > being in the Northeast, but when six
meters is open it means being one Es hop  > away.>  > Take a fairly decent
station well located, and you'll beat just about  > anything from elsewhere.>
The rest is mostly window dressing.>  >  > 73  -  Jim   K8MR    >