Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

To: "'CQ-Contest MailList'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:41:27 -0500
Ev,

The problem is that we're mixing "apples" (operators) and "oranges"
(hardware).

You are asserting that the *hardware* an operator might use should
differentiate between *operator* categories and somehow by differentiating
by hardware used, that other operators will "learn from that to improve
their skills further".

What *skills* will get improved by knowing what *hardware* someone else uses
as a single op?

These are totally different issues.

A single operator (unassisted of course) category has nothing to do with the
hardware. It is a measure of the number of operators. If the count of
operators is 1 (one), then the two entrants are in the same category. There
is no other qualification of the category.

Here is the ARRL definition from the General Rules for HF contests:

2.1.Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving, and
logging functions as well as equipment and antenna adjustments.

And, from CQ:

III. A.1. Single Operator High: Those stations at which one person performs
all of the operating, logging, and spotting functions. The use of DX
alerting assistance of any kind places the station in the Single Operator
Assisted category.

Please note that there is nothing in either of those rules that defines any
measure of the hardware the individual uses.

Anyone who thinks that it is an advantage to simply have two radios in an
SO2R configuration is sadly mistaken. The skill required to effectively use
two radios is much more dependent on what goes on between the single
operator's two ears than what his radio count is.

Please note that I have suggested in this forum previously that there needs
to be consideration of how much surrogate functionality the hardware
performs for an individual.

My concern is that at some point, the hardware may perform functions that an
additional operator could perform, and at that point, the hardware
might/should be considered as a non-human operator making the entrant a
multi-op (a human + an Operator Surrogate Computer - OSC). I envision that
advances in DSP technology might allow, for example, for high speed scanning
and recognition of callsigns on other radios on SSB and then alerting the
human operator of new multipliers etc. Such functionality might push this
hardware discussion over the edge.

I don't believe we're there today, and certainly not with SO2R, but the time
is coming when an "OSC" will be an issue.

73,
Bob W5OV