Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:06:10 -0500
> "2.1.3.3.High Power: More than 150-W PEP output (see
> rule 1.3)."
>
> A station running 150-w is 10-dB less powerful than
> one running 1500-w.  That's quite a difference.  Are
> stations at opposite ends of this range *really*
> contesting peers?

Ev, you're championing an underclass of people running 151 watts that does
not exist.  The rule was designed to separate people who run exciters only
from people who use an amplifier.  Virtually all people in the high power
class are much less than 8db down, and most are nearly zero db down.

> I'm curious to know just how SO2R is done

This link says it all in about 3 minutes:

http://n6tr.jzap.com/tworadio.html

Even today, there is no standard implementation of it.  Everyone likes to
split their audio differently, some contesting programs do more of the
automation than others, etc.  Everyone has their own secret weapons which
makes it kind of interesting.  All the commercial products are highly
user-configurable.

It has made contesting more expensive and more work than it was in the good
old days.  Do I do it?  Yes.  Do I like it?  I like trying to run with the
big boys more than I dislike SO2R.

Mark, N5OT