Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

To: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:29:59 -0700
On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 03:09:41PM -0700, Radiosporting Fan wrote:

> Since there isn't a VHF equivalent (to my knowledge),

Sure there is - I run two radios in the VHF contests
that I do single op just like I do in the HF contests.

> I wonder what SO2R allows someone to do, exactly?  CQ
> on one frequency and be Search-and-Pouncing, too?

Yes.

You can cover two bands at a time.
Generally you call CQ on one radio and
you tune the other band(s) on the other radio.

Here is a video with audio:

http://www.ke5c.net/so2r/wpx1.wmv

and

http://www.ke5c.net/so2r/wpx3.wmv

In the VHF contest it means I can call CQ on 6m
and run guys while listening to 2m or some other
band looking for new guys to show up or the rover to
get to the next grid etc.

I have more audio - but I not sure where the best
examples of two radio activity are - although
generally I should be doing it all the time.

If you listened to the audio here for most single op
contests you can hear it happening.  In S it is best to
listen on Sunday as I dont use the second radio too much
on the first high rate hours.

Some examples - that IARU should be good from
even the first hour.

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/contests/IARU/2005/

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/contests/SS/SSB/2004/

http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/audio/contests/WPX/SSB/2005/