Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs. SO2R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs. SO2R
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:17:35 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Guys.  My situation over the past few years is a "case study" on what is really
important.  2 years ago, I moved a full bore SO2R set up (FT1000MP/FT990,
Dunestars, 6-pack, DXDoubler, Hard Line, etc.) from a rented QTH with almost
all wire antennas below 60 feet and 2 3el monos at 25 - 30 feet (10 and 15M) in
Vermont to another location in Vermont about 15 miles away.  The new location
has a 70 foot tower in a commanding EU Take-Off and numerous monbanders.
Everything else right down to the hard line is identical.

My scores went from top 10 to some top 5 in Low Power, SO Un Assisted, to
winning or coming in 2nd in the same categories in CQ WW, ARRL DX, and WPX.
The ONLY Difference was great antennas and local terrain.  SO2R is a great
help, there is no doubt, if you know well how to use it, but THE BIG DFFERENCE
was antennas, period!

So please, can we get off of the SO1R vs SO2R thing....

BTW, the difference in SS and NA QSO and SPRINT is just as big as DX Contests.
Check out the top 10s in all three and tell me the West Coast/South Advantage
isn't as great in those as the North East in DX contests.  You just don't hear
as much belly aching about it.....

73

Ed  N1UR