Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs. SO2R

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO1R vs. SO2R
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@5b4agn.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 05:36:36 -0000
There is a fundamental difference here.

SO v MO is obvious - one op and more than one operator.  Team performance
will exceed single operator performance without any requirement for
additional single operator skill.

HP v LP.  Performance enhancement without any requirement for improvement in
operator skill.

Assisited/Unassisted.  Segregated because the use of spotting information
provided by third parties falls outside the SO criteria.

So why is SO2R different?  It is different because it places substantial
skill demands upon the operator for benefit to be gained.  Without
acquisition of these operator skills, which btw aren't so easily come by,
SO2R is an operator liability.

Before you ask........I have a fully functional SO2R capability.  I have
invested quite some time in learning to gain advantage from it.  I have
found only limited success.  Most of my contesting is done SO1R.  I have
great admiration for those among us who have been able to master the skills
needed for fully effective SO2R operation.  IMO they deserve to have all the
advantage this brings them.

I believe that SO2R skills are the most demanding a contester can acquire.
They do not come easily and require a significant investment.  The time
taken to learn the operating skills is considerable but for some very
worthwhile.

I believe I understand SO2R well, though my skill in its use is at best
modest.  I strongly oppose segregating this leading-,edge skill based
pursuit into a seperate category.  This would have the effect of reducing
motivation to acquire these very difficult skills.  Such would move
contesting backwards not forwards.

We don't want that.

I don't recall ever seeing seperate categories for those using mechanical
bugs v those with pump handles OR those with el-bugs or keyboards.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F