Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:33:51 -0700
"Dr. Megacycle KK6MC/5", wrote:

> There are lots of active contesters in the QRP community, but many only
> work QRP contests. They constitute new blood for the contesting
> community and are an untapped resource to keep contesting going into
> the future. We should try to entice them into being more active in the
> general contests. One way to do this is to invite local QRPers to
> participate in the contest forums at local hamfests, or invite them to
> club meetings if you have a club that is contest oriented. In turn,
> participate in the QRP forums at hamfests or in the local QRP club,
> perhaps offering to give a beginning contesting talk to them. That is
> the place to tell them not to sign  /QRP.

This is one option, but IMHO, as I've said for several years now, contest
Sponsors ***SHOULD*** include one simple reminder sentence in the published
rules (BOLD type)...preferably in the section pertaining to any QRP "Category"
or "Class" info, akin to the following:

SPECIAL NOTE:  QRP participants should ***NOT*** add "/QRP" to their callsigns,
because it makes absolutely NO difference to the multitude of contesters in the
event, and is, in fact, a considerable unnecessary time-waster to all involved.
  [Or something similar]

This would solve part of the problem "up front".

Confession:  I have operated with 5w in some of the QRP specific events and
portable with a K2, but do NOT sign "/QRP".

FWIW & 73...

Rick, K6VVA