Re: [CQ-Contest] Get it right

To: paulkb8n@aol.com;, n5ot@n5ot.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get it right
From: "Dale Putnam" <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:02:01 -0600
Hi Paul,
  Thanks for the comments, and suggestions, good ideas. And like you said, all
are applicable, and some are more appropriate or useful or productive than
others. One of the most productive things I have done is improve the antenna
system. No, not the 300 foot tower with stacked beams on all bands, just simple
things, like another dipole, or another vertical. I've found that a different
antenna, one with low angle and one with high angle will allow a more effective
operation especially during times when the band is changing. To put it more to
the point, the times that qsb is happening, may not necessarily be that the
signal fades away. Just that it goes to a different angle of approach, and yes,
it seems to fade, but if another antenna is used, the signal is still there.
Thus, no repeats or at least fewer. Yes, you must become quick with the antenna
switch, and stay with the atmosphere. Practice, as in all things makes it work
better. At least for me.
  This can be expanded upon be a bunch, for more info.
C U in the next test, Paul,
--...   ...--Dale - WC7S in Wy

From: PaulKB8N@aol.comDate: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 06:07:25 -0400Subject: Re:
[CQ-Contest] Get it rightTo: daleputnam@hotmail.com; n5ot@n5ot.comCC:
cq-contest@contesting.com

I was one of those guys who required an explanation from Mark that he was not a
dupe.  Sometimes you see what you want to see when you look at the visible dupe
sheet.  As a very part-time contester, I've struggled with some pretty horrific
logging problems over the years and I've made some adjustments that I think
have helped, despite a bonehead error or two during this most recent Sprint.

Here are a few things that I know have helped:

Keyboard/monitor alignment:  I think it is vital to have the main  portion of
the keyboard directly below the monitor.  I bought one of those space-saver
keyboards to help accomplish this.  At first I thought the crowded keys (much
like a laptop) would only make things more difficult, but after getting used to
it, I think it is much better.  The keyboard being only 11" wide allows me to
position my paddle and my remote VFO knob where the num pad normally is on a
full-sized keyboard.  This makes everything much more accessible for me.

Use a keyboard arrangement that works for you:  I decided to try a black
keyboard with white letters and I find it is easier to see the keys.  Another
advantage is that I can use an indelible Sharpie marker and black out all those
extra markings on dual function keys and other keys that are never used with
TR.  I've also had an O versus 0 issue, my current computer shows a slashed 0
which really helps, can this be set for most computers?

Wear glasses!  I'm one of only a few people my age (58) who can get by most of
the time without glasses.  I've finally decided to use readers that have only a
minor correction, and it does make the screen and the keyboard look much more
crisp and well-defined.

Use the automated features of the software for checking info.  In my situation
with Mark, I saw K5OT on my dupe sheet and responded that he was a dupe.  Had I
typed in his callsign as I heard it (N5OT) the computer would have overridden
my mental processing error and completed the Q without disruption.

Record yourself for practice.  The little Sony minidisc recorders are really
super for this.  In the LP4 recording mode they'll go for over 6 hours in
stereo on one disc with very good quality, and a single AA battery seems to
last forever.  You can insert a track mark very easily to highlight problem
areas for review.  Its also very easy to record to your computer hard drive, I
just like the convenience of the little recorder, I can plug it into my car
stereo or listen to it on an airplane.  There are also a couple of hard-drive
recording devices similar to an iPod that record for a zillion hours directly
into stereo MP-3 format. They are still pricey, but the price will eventually
come down.  Listening to yourself struggle with keystrokes and callsigns is
painful, but illuminating. After listening to your own recordings, go to K5ZD's
site and listen to Randy's contest recordings to see how it should be done.

I hardly one to be an example of how to "get it right", but I've learned a few
things and I hope to get better.  I'm interested in hearing from others about
their improvement efforts.

Paul, K5AF