Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rules

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rules
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 08 Oct 2006 19:48:27 -0500
On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 11:34, Robert Chudek - KÃRC wrote:
> I believe the California folks are leading the charge to implement the new
> 2x4 abbreviation list that makes all 3000+ USA counties unique. The new list
> creates a standard for all logging/contesting software authors to use. They
> won't have to constantly update county lists. The abbreviations will become
> consistent, like the DXCC countries list.

The feds have already done this:
http://www.census.gov/datamap/fipslist/AllSt.txt

Three digits or four letters, I wonder which is faster?

(I'd imagine your chances of getting a non-contestant to give you his
FIPS code is pretty close to zero!)

It does take some of the charm out of a QSO party...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
FIPS 47021  EM66