Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

To: "Ev Tupis" <w2ev@yahoo.com>,"CQ-Contest eMail Remailer" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 03:12:17 -0000
> From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
> To: CQ-Contest eMail Remailer <cq-contest@contesting.com>
> Date: 10/13/2006 1:02:46 AM
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation
>
> With the recent expansion of USA SSB priviledges on some
> HF bands, let's spread the word to leave these frequencies
> "net free" for non-structured SSB operations as a gentleman's
> agreement.

I think the changes to 80m are a disaster for everyone.  FCC had a bad case
of cranial/rectal inversion.

For traffic handlers ...... almost all the section CW traffic nets just
lost their frequencies (mostly they operate above 3600).

For digital/data folks  ......  where do they go now on 80m? --- FCC
didin't even have enough basic awareness about their own existing rules to
modify §97.221(b)!

Unless they correct the R&O, they've given Generals (but not Advanced)
125kc of RTTY/data bandwidth in the Extra phone band in Regions II and III.
What's up with that?

Can you imagine SS CW in Nov 2007?  Really, you CAN?

Could we get W5ZN to send another letter saying  "Never mind, we're in no
hurry.  Take your time."?   Oh, never mind, he already wrote and thanked
them saying "The Commission's action in clearing this pending proceeding
will assist the Amateur Radio Service in meeting its objectives,
particularly with regard to providing emergency and public service
communications."  Say what??????????

Back when ARRL started this whole misbegotten mess with their proposal to
plow under and replant the Novice bands (RM-10413), I sent these (below)
comments to FCC.  I'd gladly stand behind them again today.

                             Before the
             Federal Communications Commission
                     Washington, DC 20554

In the Matter of                                           )
                                                                   )
Amendment of Part 97 of the Commission's )   RM-10413
Amateur Service Rules Governing                )
Operating Privileges                                     )
                                                                   )

PERSONAL COMMENTS OF HANS BRAKOB, K0HB

                                          OVERVIEW

These comments are in response to the ARRL proposal for "refarming" the
existing HF "Novice sub-bands".

I. Discussion:

The ARRL petition does not address the implementation of
new technologies as repeatedly requested by the Commission in
WT Docket 98-143. It simply proposes to eliminate the Novice
segments and reshuffle that spectrum among existing legacy
modes. Rather than gain consensus, the ARRL polling method
produced a popularity poll among several non-responsive (to
98-143) choices.

Rather than just "more of the same old stuff", I propose
that the Commission take this opportunity to provide the
Amateur Radio service with a new incentive to concentrate
on paragraph 97.1(b) of the Commission's Rules.

While I agree that the declining Novice license population
no longer justifies several significant chunks of spectrum
as a "reservation" for improving their Morse skills, and that
these "reservations" have outlived their regulatory purpose,
I propose that we retain these 50-year old "reservations" and
convert them to a new purpose which will ensure the future
Amateur Radio service continues our "proven ability to
contribute to the advancement".

                                    II Proposal:

 A. To "de-populate" the current Novice segments, I propose
that all Novice (and Technician with code credit) licensees
be authorized to use Morse code in the same band segments
now authorized for General class licensees.

B. I propose that the current Novice sub-bands be set aside
as a new "Experimental Reservation" for non-traditional
and experimental modes such as digitized voice, digitized
image, and other "forward looking" communications methods.

C. I propose that the current power output level of 200W
be retained for those segments, and additionally propose
that transmitters in those segments must be equipped with
auto-adaptive circuitry to reduce output to the lowest
level consistent with reliable communications.

D. I recommend that the Commission grant broad discretion
to amateurs operating in this "experimental reservation"
as to innovative modulation schemes and non-traditional
technologies.

Respectfully submitted,

H. Hans Brakob, K0HB