Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 08:23:14 -0700
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:02:27 -0400, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
<w4tv@subich.com> wrote:

>> 2. Digital activity is rare above 3600 already.
>
>Bull - there is considerable domestic digital activity above 3600.
>You may not hear it because you don't tune that high during contests
>and don't listen at other times.

Whatever non-contest digital activity exists above 3600 can easily
move below 3600. Just listen any evening to the 3750-3600 region. You
will hear some CW and PSK31 and almost no RTTY or other data mode
signals. Call CQ on 3590, the DX calling frequency, some evening and
see how many responses you get. I've done it a lot and I know whereof
I speak.

>> 3. Likewise, because of Region 1 and 3 allocations, RTTY contest
>> activity has pretty much shifted to the 7030-7045 area already.
>
>Again, you are being extremely myopic. Digital activity does not
>begin and end with the major RTTY contests.  There is a significant
>level of domestic digital activity above 7075.  All of that activity
>- plus the automated digital systems - will be forced below 7075.

Other than K6*** endlessly calling CQ, I hear very little RTTY
activity in the 7080 region. Moving below 7075 will be no hardship at
all. In fact, if 40 meter RTTY activity were focused around 7040, the
DX calling frequency, I would consider it a plus.

Although I am a diehard RTTY op, I consider the FCC's NPRM to be in
the best interest of amateur radio. Phone, especially SSB, is far more
popular than RTTY will ever be. It kills me to say that, but it's
true.

Bill, W6WRT