Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB Sections in SS

To: Art Boyars <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB Sections in SS
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:05:21 -0700
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:29:40AM -0400, Art Boyars wrote:

> VO1MX and VE3DZ mentioned that poor enunciation makes it hard to
> copy your Section -- especially if the receiving op is not familiar
> with the the info.  This brings me back to my Little Pistol question
> -- on SSB (especially if the signal is weak) which way is easier for
> the receiving op to copy: "Maaarylaand" or "Mike Delta (Charlie)";
> or "Losss Aangeless" or "Lima Alfa Xray"?

> I would think that the phonetics are more clear, and that they take
> one less translation step from ear to keyboard.  But I'd like to
> hear what the "real" phone op's think.

I think the best answer to you question is that you should use
what works best.  Not every section is the same.  As WM5R said
'South Texas' works better when you have to say it 2000+ times
than 'Sirrea Tango X-ray'.  This will not be true for each section
or for that matter for each opererator.

As far as callsign phonetics go - I usually advise folks to use
two different sets for their callsign.  I find that it seems to
work best if you say your callsign with different ways - we all
have problems understanding or saying certain words.  I often have
this problem with DX stations.  I can not get their callsign
and they keep using the same phonetics over and over - I sometimes
ask them to use different phonetics and if they do I can sort the
callsign out instantly.

And I will echo another poster to this thread please do not use or
over use the cute phonetics.  I was once called in FD by:

WD0 Have A Nice Day  for WD0HND (when I finally got him to say his callsign)

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net