Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

To: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry.hull@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:46:19 -0500
It is a great question, worthy of debate.

I also agree that posting one's score is not DX Alerting, and it should not
place one in the Assisted category

If we ban the internet for single-op users, how do we police that?
Impossible, I'd say.    Before we had the internet, single-ops could cheat
on packet spots by operating their packet radios in non-proto mode, and get
the spots anyway - no acks required.

Do we ban all tools of the internet age for single ops?  Should they not be
able to participate in the technology revolution?

Rules are for rule followers; their always will be cheaters.   We have to be
careful to create rules so that they make sense, not just because a new
technology comes along, or because "it was always done X way".   We should
grow with the times, carefully.

That said, if the general opinion is that their is too much information
being delivered with live scores, then we can "tone it down".  However, I do
think that if we are to grow as a community, we need to share our sport with
the world and the ham community at large.

Oh, and what about looking at scores would be considered cheating?  If K3LR
is running on 10m and you see the Q total going up, you know that 10 is
open.  If your at KC1XX, are you going to 10m because you saw K3LR's score
on the board going up?  If so, you should be fired as an operator -- your
skills are radio skills, and you should not be taking direction from a
computer.   Your placing will be determined by how you operate, not by what
you watch on the internet.

If you are a single op, you might get an advantage from this information.
However, if you are a top notch single op, you would have already known 10m
is open.   You may know that from experience, or from the use of some other
non-radio tool.  Are these things bad?  I would say not -- they show
innovation.   We should never supress innovation.

IMHO, Live Logging will enhance participation by the casual operator.   This
will enhance the top ops scores and ensure a long life for contesting.

73, Gerry, W1VE