Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phonetics
From: "Stuart Santelmann KC1F" <kc1f@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:58:59 -0400
> What I hate is when you simply say "Minnesota" and the guy on the other
> ends says "OK, Minnesota, MI, right?". No, not right, it's MN. MI is a
> different place. Now I've added at least one more go-around with this QSO
> that's completely unnecessary and a huge waste of time. I've resolved to
> say "Mike November" and be done with it.
>
> 73 Steve K0SR

I don't know if my perceptions have changed over my 36 years of contesting,
but I think people's ability to recognize state and section names without
phonetics has definitely gone downhill.  It increasingly seems that DX
stations in the ARRL DX contest need the two letter state abbreviation said
phonetically (two syllables longer for me than saying "New Hampshire"), and
can't recognize the state name said in plain English.  Maybe the
dumbing-down of America and lack of knowledge of geography has spread
worldwide.  The skill needed in the example above is the same skill required
to succesfully address a letter if someone told you the state name verbally.
Maybe we just have to be resigned to "loosing" this battle.  OTOH, maybe "I
could care less"...

Stu KC1F  in New Hampshire, not "New Jersey".