Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:15:48 -0400
James Cain wrote:
> I don't see why this (Single Operator using a real-time scoreboard)
> even merits "discussion."
>
> How could anyone assert that a "single operator" entrant who looks at
> a real-time contest scoreboard via the internet, packet, etc. is NOT
> "assisted?"
>
> In my opinion, the only contest categories with any legitimacy are
> Single Operator (strictly defined and enforced) and Unlimited. All
> the other categories are mere constructs.
>
> Time to read "Alice in Wonderland" again.
>
> Jim Cain, K1TN/9

The problem is the "strictly defined and enforced" clause. There is no
such clause. Consider the following behavior, which is not uncommon for
some high-scoring single-op (unassisted) operators:

packet/internet spots, and picking off those spots during the first hour
of the contest.

- Using the internet to obtain real-time ionospheric and solar
information during the contest.

- Having someone else perform station and antenna maintenance during the
contest, while the single-op continues to operate.

73,
Steve, N2IC