Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:15:49 -0700
I have to agree with you, Ron.  And with Mal, of course ... at least in
this instance ;)

I operated 40m single band during this contest and listened to several
of the big guns from this very reflector giving their SSB listening
frequency well below 7010 during prime time for the CW DX'ers.  The
reason they were listening down there is that those frequencies were
more or less clear of SSB signals, left that way by the rest of the
world that had far more courtesy and far less arrogance.  I even heard
two of these ops (possibly the two biggest stations on the east coast)
complaining to each other that after giving their listening frequency as
being below 7010, other DX stations would occasionally jump down there
to call CQ!  You have to wonder at the mentality of that.

A few respondents to Mal commented that the QRM in Europe is horrendous
on 40m SSB, as if that were some kind of excuse, but I've heard lots of
Europeans the last two evenings and the culprits all seemed to be on
this side of the Atlantic.

There is no question that contests are going to stretch informal band
plans and create some friction, but it doesn't do the hobby any good for
contesters to take over ALL of the band.  It's bad manners and as you
say, it's getting worse.  Last year I only heard one really bad culprit
(the full audio file of his 2005 operation is still available online
from his website, by the way) who used 7002 for hours, but this year
there were several big guns doing it.

And if it turns me off, how should we expect the non-contesters who
suffer from it to react?  Can someone tell me how the hobby is advanced
by this kind of behavior?  It's silly to spend much of the year debating
how we can draw more new participants to contesting and then during the
actual contests give the most prospective ones (DX'ers, in my opinion)
great reasons why they wouldn't want to.  All because a few guys think
they are more important than the rest.

Dave  AB7E