[CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: kr2q@optonline.net
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:30:20 +0000 (GMT)
HI all:A couple thoughts....1.? As has already been stated (but worth
repeating), "band plans," which are not formalized as law, have no bearing on
DQ.? "Law" may be either the law of a country or of a contest sponsor.2.? If
the extra "room" were not needed, it would not be used.? A good example is 10m
during thesun spot maximum.? Right now (the bottom), it would make Ø sense for
someone in the CQWW DXcontest to call CQ during the contest on 28.750.? They
would likely get no answers.? But during thepeak, that spot would be jammed
with stations (wall to wall on ten).? So the analogous application to40 is that
if EU were calling CQ on 7015 and it "wasn't working," then they would not
continue to sitthere.? As for some "big" USA types CQing and QSX on 7001, same
thing.? If nobody (DX) callsthem, they would not continue to listen there.? It
is a supply and demand type function.3.? I really don't understand how SSB
signals in the "cw" portion of the band prevents cwqso's.? Since I am mostly
just listening this contest (my antennas are still strewn all over on the
ground,save one), I had an opportunity to not only view the LIVE scoreboards,
but to read the contestreflector and be motivated to reply here.? So...I see
the annual comments about this and I wanted totest it for myself.? I went to CW
on 40 and operated CW.? No sweat.? Why?? Cuz (a) I used narrowfilters (the SSB
essentially "goes away") and (b) I listen to cw on the opposite sideband
(USB).? Can Istill hear SSB guys?? Yes, but I can still hear very weak cw guys
also...with ease.? Now I'll be the firstto admit that I am not in zone 14 where
the issue is likely "worse."? Is it really "that bad" that cw qso'scannot take
place at all in the bottom 25 khz?4.? I also have to wonder about the time of
day.? I suspect (and others outside USA can fill me in), thatthe bottom of 40m
is not covered with SSB for the entire contest.? I suspect that occurs mostly
during the times of day when DX propagation is best.? That is usually when most
casual guys are asleep.Now I know that there is lots to be had during the day
on 40 in Europe, since everything is "so close,"so I would appreciate some
comments from the active EU contesters....is the bottom filled with
ssbthroughout all 48 hours?? But unless the entrant is M/M or Multi 2, I gotta
believe that daylight hours are, in the majority, best spent elsewhere for
single ops (IE, not on 40).de Doug KR2QPS..usual disclaimer: These are my own
comments and do not necessarily represent the opinion of anygroup with which I
may be associated.