Re: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:23:42 -0500
Sorry to disagree with my M/M host, but I feel strongly that all the US
stations who work us deserve to be in the log.  We have no way of
knowing who needs us for zone credit.

At least from the 15 meter perspective, I feel that very little time is
wasted by making US QSOs.  When I am on a DX run, it is rare for a US
station to call in.  During the slow times, US stations do call in and
working them takes no more time than just calling another unproductive CQ.

I certainly don't want to discourage contest beginners by telling them
that I will not log their QSO.  Nor do I want to waste my time by asking
if they really need the multiplier or need a GA QSO/QSL for state or
county or grid square credit, etc.  It is very easy to say "Thanks and
73" and those same casual operators will thereby be encouraged to call
us in CQ WPX, Sweepstakes, North American QSO Party, etc. where they do
count and are badly needed.  I have no problem with US stations who try
to stop these calls by calling "CQ DX."  That seems to be the most
efficient and unabrasive way to get the message across without wasting a
lot of time doing it. Otherwise,we would run a real danger of hurting
someone's feelings and turning them against all contesters and contesting.

I think I heard one of the big M/M stations say on 3830 last night that
they did not log US QSOs on 160 meters "this year."  I hate to think how
many zone 3 stations may not get credit for their hard won zone 5 QSO on
160 meters due to that decision.

I think I heard that this is what they used to do at W7RM--work US zero
pointers and not log them--but they changed that practice toward the end
of the use of Rush's station for multi operations.

I recall once either at N4RJ, N4PN, NQ4I or some other M/M station in
our area struggling all weekend on 10 meters at the bottom of a sunspot
cycle and finally getting ONE zone 3 QSO.  If that station didn't log
us, all that effort would have been wasted.

With all due respect to Rick and others who may feel that way, just log
them and courteously move on.

73,

John, K4BAI.