Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?

To: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>,"CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?
From: "Stuart Santelmann KC1F" <kc1f@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:48:42 -0500
> "I did see several cries for NL on the cluster and was tempted to respond"
>
> Um, is it just me or does making a spot with "Please spot [pick what you
> need]" or "I need [xxx]" qualify as a solicitation of contacts?
>
>>From the ARRL Contest General Rules at
> http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-all.html:
> 3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
> Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the
> contest
> period is not permitted.
> That includes U and M class stations in the Sweepstakes.
>
> If I am CQing away and put out a spot with my call and frequency - I'm
> self-spotting.  BZZZT!
>
> If I am S&Ping and put out a spot with somebody else's call and frequency,
> but I add "need [xxx]" and it has my call as the spotter...the difference
> from what is clearly verboten is sliced thinner than high-priced meat at a
> downtown deli.
>
> In my personal opinion - not ARRL policy - those sorts of spots are Not OK
> in any category.
>
> 73, Ward N0AX

Hi Ward:

I am guilty of this 2-3 times last weekend in my ultimately unsuccessful
search for Vermont for mult #80.  My frustration about missing what is
normally an easy mult from NH added to my liddiness.  It never occurred to
me that now that I'm using Telnet rather than RF packet, it's now
"non-Amateur radio means".  Or how would we know RF packet vs. Telnet ?
hmmm...

Stu        KC1F