Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:11:22 -0800
"Mr. Wardster", N0AX, wrote:

> Um, is it just me or does making a spot with "Please spot [pick what you
> need]" or "I need [xxx]" qualify as a solicitation of contacts?

===
>From the ARRL Contest General Rules at
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-all.html:
3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest
period is not permitted.
That includes U and M class stations in the Sweepstakes.
===

What if you are simply making a "statement" with no frequency involved vs. a
brute solicitation
to call you on the phone or send a needed mult to 14.xxx?

Isn't the use of packet as a "receiver" of information only actually a form of
"solicitation by proxy" ???????

I seem to recall making one post in the rush of things that simply exclaimed
"Need NL for #80!" or
something like that, but no frequency listed.  Where does that leave me at this
point?  Is that 100%
absolutely positively grounds necessitating withdrawl of my log submission?  It
seems a bit "fuzzy".

My understanding of the rule meant I couldn't use Internet "email" to a buddy
and ask him to call me on the phone if he
heard something I needed.

Yes, methinks now that receiving packet spots is actually "solicitation by
proxy" ... maybe ;-(

Tnx & 73...

Rick, K6VVA