Re: [CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]?
From: "Chad Kurszewski" <chad.we9v@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 00:20:17 -0600
Maybe you're thinking about it backwards.  Maybe the Unlimited ops
choose to be unlimited because it places them close to first place instead
of after tenth place.  For example, my (currently) 7th place U entry
would be 22nd place in B class.  Also, those who are better at the U
thing don't see the packet as a distraction.  It's used ocassionally,
or to help you fill the bandmap or to find your last mult on 80M when you
were on 20 and 40 with your two radios.  I believe that Assisted is
far less distracting for me in SS than in a DX contest, but that's
because I don't enter the DX contests competitively from WI and
I enjoy "DXing", but I'm sure that's not the case for the top SOA
DX ops.

As far as packet statistically hurting your score, did you think
that the score that the U guys are turning in are the best scores
they can, regardless of packet?  So if you can really only top out
at 1200 Qs, why not 'compete' in a class where 1200 puts you
closer to the top?

Chad WE9V