Re: [CQ-Contest] Definition of Non-Assisted

To: sawyered@earthlink.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Definition of Non-Assisted
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:31:23 -0500
At 09:00 11/16/2006, sawyered@earthlink.net wrote:
>Could someone from both the ARRL and CQ Contest Committees comment on this
>statement being accurate?

That is needed, I don't see why the ARRL can't update their General Rules to
remove any ambiguity on this subject.

Let's separate the "Apples " from the "Oranges" !!!

First:
You will get DIFFERENT wording by DIFFERENT sponsors on their definition on
what "Assisted Operation" IS !!! So lets not mix them up.

Second:
You will get a DIFFERENT opinion for DIFFERENT contests by the SAME sponsor on
their definition of "Assisted Operation" IS !!! That's their option.
Read the Rules for ARRL DX and ARRL SS to see the differences for Classes.

That being said, their is the DIFFERENCE between the "Sprit of the Law" AND the
"Letter of the Law" !!! I see a lot of "hair splitting" on this thread.

 From my point of view: Packet Spots, Internet Spots, and TELNET Spots, are ALL
the SAME !!! They are ALL intermingled, but "One in the Same" !!!
Most all of the spots on the Packet come from Internet feeds

These methods, (IMHO) constitute ASSISTANCE from Someone OR Some Method
"External"
to the operator's normal operation that assists (Him/Her) to make contacts that
they
would not have been normally been aware of !!! Either BY Band, Frequency,
Direction or Time !!!

In Specific to this weekends the "ARRL NOV SS SSB Contest", If you RECEIVE
Spots via Packet,
Internet, or Telnet , You MUST enter the contest in the UNLIMITED Category !!!
ARRL SS Rule:
3.1.4.   Unlimited­Packet assisted (no differentiated power levels)

>"Actually a better way to put this would be "using the internet to solicit
>contacts" which is what you are doing if your radio spots come from the
>internet, as is common practice now, but for some reason the name "packet"
>still remains.

"Packet" remains because the rules haven't been updated to say "Packet and/or
"Internet" "Spotting Networks"

>Technically if you had your old 2M radio, TNC and computer
>terminal connected to a ham packet node, you would not be violating the
>rule." from Mark, N5OT

Maybe !!!
If you only used it to "Post Spots" I don't see any problem.
Once you start "Receiving Spots" it moves you into the "Assisted" category.
The "Post Only" mode of operation puts you on the "Honor System",but opens you
up to potential contest fraud allegations.

>A packet connection to an internet server is "communicating by radio means"?
>I certainly hope not.
>
>How many non-assisted ops are using this interpretation of this rule I
>wonder....
>
>Ed  N1UR

I for one do !!!
In my book Un-Assisted means no RF Packet Spots AND no Internet Spots or
CONNECTIONS !!!

73 es KB this weekend
Bob, K1VU