[CQ-Contest] to dupe or not to dupe

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] to dupe or not to dupe
From: kr2q@optonline.net
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 01:32:45 +0000 (GMT)
Dear DO, et al:

1.  Unlike SS where you MUST send both calls, a typical qso in CQWW is:
   a.  a bunch of guys send their call
   b.  one station is called in reply and gets a signal report
   c.  the "chosen" station sends back ONLY an exchange
   d. the CQer starts up againThis means zero confirmation of who the caller is
really working.
Guys on adjacent (or overlapping) QRGs think you are working them, hence
confusion
laterwhen you actually call them.

SOLUTION:  Always send "the other guy's callsign" with the exchange

2.  Did you notice how often those replying to a CQ or QRZ call "a mile" off
frequency?
What happened to this latest crop of contesters?  No idea how to even get close
to thesending QRG?

It was pitiful..and no, these were not guys try to "stand out" by tuning off a
bit.
I think they just had the RIT or XIT on and didn't know it or are just
inexperienced at
how to zero.

I know I called one guy on the correct frequency and was heard another guy,
probably 800hz
up, think I was calling him.  I got an exchange and everything.  Sadly, I
didn't copy this call
and he then left, so somebody has me in their log and I sure don't have them in
my log.

With all the emphasis on "be sure to tune around your xmit QRG for guys calling
off freq, it seems that phantom qso's are on the increase.

3.  Only a fool would not give out another qso to someone who is calling them
but whom they
show as a dupe.  It takes longer to send "CALLSIGN QSO B4" than it does to send
"CALLSIGN
5nn10 (not picking on HC8N, it's just that 10 is the longest zone number to
send if you don't
cut it).

If some guy tries to dupe you 3 or more times, I can see getting frustrated and
telling him to
buzz off; otherwise, just work him.

None of is new...all very well known and accepted and discussed ad naseum over
the
years.

So...if you're a newbie contester....just work the dupes.

de Doug KR2Q