Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"

To: <vo1he@rac.ca>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:26:52 -0600
VO1HE Wrote:

"Just as you CANNOT take unsolicited info, act upon it and be unassisted."

I'm mystified by your conclusion.

If you didn't arrange for it, and it is truly unsolicited, how can you be
assisted?

While I understand the intent here to do things totally on your own, the
reality is that if I was calling CQ in SS, and someone randomly drops by and
says "hey Oven, VY1JA is up 10 if you need him", I would not hesitate to go
up 10 and work Jay. How could I ignore that information? Why should I? Is
there a limit to how long I should ignore it? 10 minutes, an hour... what if
Jay QSYs up 2? Would it be OK then? What if he never QSYs for the rest of
the contest? Is he off-limits to me because someone I did not ask to help me
told me about Jay's whereabouts? No way.

In contrast to that unlikely scenario, if I was talking to one of my buddies
earlier in the week and I said "hey Hobo, I can never find VY1JA during SS.
If you get on and find him, let me know so I can work him". This would be
cheating as a single op and would require me to report as assisted. It would
not be multi-op in any case, since the other operators would have to be at
my station for them to count as operators.

73,

Bob W5OV