Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"
From: "Leigh S. Jones" <leigh@j1s.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:50:55 -0800
Perhaps I was a little quick to make that statement, as I should have
recalled from my early hamming experience that there was controversy over
cut numbers.  You see, I learned cut numbers from my father, ex-W6PCL almost
as early as I learned the rest of the International Morse Code.   I learned
the Morse Code simultaneously to being taught the alphabet for the first
time (about age 3).  The first alphabet I ever saw in my life was
accompanied by the Morse Code and printed on a tiny metal panel on a Morse
practice set with buzzer and key.   A short time later, in my early years as
a ham, someone once told me that old timers who used the American Morse Code
used a different set of cut numbers from the one used in International Morse
Code.  Probably it was Roger Mace, W6RW or Bill Guimont, whose last callsign
was W7KW, a couple of my early contest Elmers.  Believe it or not, I
remember hams who were 40 or 50 years my senior talking about "the
oldtimers" with some reverence without ever having a sense of the irony I
was witnessing.

I went home from that conversation and looked up the cut number system in an
old book that my father gave to me, most likely the 1951 ARRL handbook, and
found my father's system.  It  simply eliminated all dashes past the first
dash in each number and substituted and e for 5.  4 and 6 were represented
by 4 and 6.  It's clear that AC6V's website represents a different system,
and for some reason it now occurs to me that somewhere in my failing memory
I've been aware of the AC6V website's system as the American Morse Code cut
number system and my father's as the International Morse system of cut
numbers for most of my hamming experience.  If push ever came to shove, I
suppose that a cut number system used in American Morse Code might predate
one used in International Morse Code.  That could be wrong.  I primarily
think of the American Morse Code as the language of landline telegraphy
while I think of the International Morse Code as the language of radio.
Perhaps I am overlooking early European landline telegraphy using
International Morse Code.

But in my 40+ years as a ham, I can't recall ever hearing someone actually
use cut number representation for the digits 3, 4, 6 , or 7 on the air, and
I've always known that the confusion between the two systems was part of the
reason for that.  So I apologize to K1AR for contradicting him, I might more
correctly have said something like "one of the commonly accepted cut number
abbreviation for 33 is VV" rather than what I did say.