[CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut number for "3"
From: "José Nunes CT1BOH" <ct1boh@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:05:58 +0000
Mr Tree says

"I hadn't ever heard this before, but I did some research on the web and
found this page that lists cut numbers for Morse code numbers:
http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#AB
According to this - the cut number for 3 is "W".  "

Too bad your research didn´t go just a bit below, because in the very same
link you point out, down the page you find
http://www.ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#RST

where it says

"It is very common to send RST reports in abbreviated form, for example 599,
is sent as 5NN. "N" in place of the number "9". Also another time saver is
for the zero using a long "T". "T" is sent in place of the number zero as in
"POWER HR IS 3TT WATTS". There is a number code for all numbers, however,
the N and T codes are the most common ones.
Also CW stations sometimes report their zones as "A4" or "A5" instead of
sending "14" or "15".

1 = A,   2 = U,   3 = V,   4 = 4,   5 = E,   6 = 6,   7 = B,   8 = D,   9 =
N,   0 = T"

Which for me makes a lot more sense and intuitive to have 3=V and 4=4
instead of 3=W and 4=V. So you see I did not take the V for a 3 out of the
blue.
But at least I'm happy now you realize there is this thing called cut
numbers.

Many year ago when I started doing ENN instead of 5NN from P40E there was no
problem. People understood and logged the correct RST. Recently I started
doing EE instead of TU and now I hear already a lot of people using it in
the contest

As K8CC told me according to the ARRL log checking position "it is the
responsibility of the receiving station to translate any received cut
numbers into numeric digits in the log"
which I may add I totally agree. I had around 6600 QSOs from CT3NT and no
more than 3 or 4 people asked for repeat my zone. So I see no problem here
but some long unexplained bitterness...

QRT
--
José Nunes