Re: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness
From: David Mueller <n2nl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 09:33:30 -0800 (PST)
The distinction I see between what is OK and what
isn't OK is a simple one.

An unassisted operator must not solicit for assistance
on his run frequency, key word being "solicit".  That
means, no asking "Does anyone know where the VY1 is?"
Doing this very obviously (to me) places that
competitor into the multi or assisted category.

Now, lets say someone calls in and tells you that the
VY1 is 10KC down the band.  I really don't know why
this person would tell you this unless asked, but lets
say he does.  Feel free to go down and work him - that
information was not solicited.

Listening to a 2M spotting network implies
solicitation, and puts you in the assisted category
as-per the contest rules.

Soliciting for the last one or two sections on your
run frequency is no different than asking to be
spotted.  It's no different than arranging to have
your buddy down the street feed you information from
his packet screen all day long.  You might think this
is obviously over-the-top, but if you ask enough
people, eventually you'll get the same information.

When in doubt, do as WRTC does.  WRTC teams can not
solicit nor receive assistance over the air during the
competition.

73, Dave N2NL/6