Re: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers

To: Art Boyars <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:55:58 -0800
If you have to change the RST (or anything else in the log) you can just
edit the cabrillo file before you submit it.  When this happens to me I
scribble out a yellow sticky reminding me to make the change (QSO # 534
S/B 559 not 599)

Art Boyars wrote:

>N6TJ said: "Simply asked:  why send more than required to get the message
>across?"
>
>Indeed: "... to get the message across...."   Well we knew that even before
>Claude Shannon explained it.  So it works OK for "5NN" and for CQ WW, where
>all you have to copy is the call sign, and the logging software fills in the
>zone.  If somebody in Brazil sends me "AA" I don't have to wonder if he is
>advocating sobriety.
>
>And it's not such a good idea for SS (where you actually have to copy
>something; I'm thinking of adopting K0HB's variable CK).  Jim, are you ready
>for "nbtj aeeu a kvku bt md".
>
>Go ahead and use cut numbers.  Just be ready to change your tactics if enough
>non-experts slow you down by asking for a repeat, or if enough newbies -- the
>ones who prestage the exchange in the log before they call you -- won't even
>try because they can't figure out what you're sending.  (That last one is kind
>of hard to detect, isn't it?).
>
>(Sidebar: In CQ WW the software also fills in the 599.  In the recent WW CW I
>was at a multi-op.  Some station sent us a 579!  I fumbled with the keyboard,
>but could not figure out how to get into the RST field to change the automatic
>599.  So I asked my companion op.  He replied, "You can't."  I'm afraid we're
>going to get dinged for a busted report.)
>
>(Side-sidebar:  And if you know that -- as I suspect --  the log-checking
>software does not check the RST, then instead of telling me that, explain why
>we have to send RST.)
>
>73, Art K3KU
>enn e

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
Aviation Chief Warrant Officer,  U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscgradio.net
http://www.comm-one.org