Re: [CQ-Contest] C6A and Contest Location

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] C6A and Contest Location
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:31:00 -0800
Jeff, KU8E, inquired:

 >  Is there anyone out there that knows much about a possible ham friendly
 > operating location on Freeport ,Grand Bahama Island.

Dunno, but I'd suggest checking K2KW's www.dxholiday.com website if you
haven't done so already.

 > Also interested in how easy it takes to get a C6A license...

It's a piece of cake.  I just renewed my C6AVA license ($25 per year -
which can be done via FAXing a form with your C/C info).  Tried to
initially get C6VVA, but they did accommodate me as close as they could :-)

Go to:  http://www.pucbahamas.gov.bs/radio_amateur.php

 > if it a hassle to bring radio equipment into the Bahamas ?

I had hoped to go there this fall except my Tedonitis situation nuked
several travel plans.  Check with K2KW and some of the other guys who have
operated from C6.  Somewhere back in time, I had heard a rumor about the
Customs folks there wanting some "$$$" up front at port-of-entry, but not
sure if this was a friendly "Deposit", or ... umh, ???

My understanding is that you should have a complete cargo manifest of
everything you are bringing into C6-land, and you must have your "original"
license and "original receipt" for initial payment or renewal fees paid.

FYI, a week ago I made a inquiry to the Licensing person there by phone to
see about the possibilities of increasing the C6  ERP higher than 250W
:-)  She said she would check into this with officials and get back to
me.   Nice lady.  We shall see.

K2KW operated in the CQ WW from a Villa on Eleuthera.  My ex-father-in-law
used to manage a resort on that Island (guess where I went on my Honeymoon?
:-)  That was back in the good old VP7 days.

73 & GL...

Rick, K6VVA / C6AVA