Re: [CQ-Contest] C6A and Contest Location

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] C6A and Contest Location
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:21:35 -0500
 Here is a summary of some of the information I collected on the Bahamas (C6A).
Many who replied asked that I share this information.

License
 W6SJ : The Public Utilities Comission does it and it's $25 per year for 1 year
license which you have to re-new. All info you need at
http://www.pucbahamas.gov.bs/radio_amateur.php

AK0M: As for licensing, just follow the steps on the ARRL site. A few years
ago it took a couple months and a couple of followup phone calls to
get my license. I just renewed it last month, and it took them less
than a month to turn that around. You will by default get a KU8E/C6A
call unless you tell them this is for a contest operation and you need
an actual C6A call... at least that's how it worked in the past.

Customs
K6VVA : Have a complete cargo manifest of everything you are bringing into
C6-land,
and you must have your "original" license and "original receipt" for initial
payment
or renewal fees paid.

K2KW : Don't carry antennas in boxes. Use duffle bag or golf club carrier.
Boxes seem to
draw attention of customs officer.

AK0M : I carry my simple antennas in a telescoping Plano fishing rod case, as
short
as I can get it (usually all way down to about 50") a along with a number of
fishing rods. For ham stuff, I just have some fiberglass telescoping poles
in there, along with my telescoping aluminum tubing homebrew vertical. Never
had a question about that either. Usually with both TSA and both US and
Bahamian customs, they ask questions about my equipment (most of it I carry
on), and I take an opportunity then
to tell them about ham radio. I especially note the hurricane communications
that are provided. Usually there is interest in hearing about that. In one
case, I learned that a TSA employee knew morse code from his military days.

W6SJ : The radio (K2) and a spare radio (IC706MkIIG) and tuners went into carry
on luggage as I didn't want to trust handlers!!!!!!!!!!!!  No one even asks at
airport. I took some 33' extendable masts for wire antennas in a 4' long duffle
bag as luggage with other antenna stuff. No problem.  However, I bought a 32'
aluminum mast in 4' sections and had it shipped directly. Had to pay >$100 duty
to import.

Locations
K2KW :  Operated in the CQ WW CW from a Villa on Eleuthera.

W6SJ : There are a couple of guys who have operated from a downtown Freeport
location. N4BP = C6AKQ and I know that he has a pal. One did 40 m and the other
80 from a condo development in Freeport. Also check out ND3F = C6AQQ and ND6S =
C6AGY and I don't know where they were.
The way the island is built there is nothing near salt water on the north side
of the island in the middle, only at each end. So if that was important, you
need to go to the ends. I think that the West end was hard hit in the last
hurricane but it may be OK now.   Don't think that there is much development at
East end but not sure about that. QTH would differ if you were going for a DX
contest of to be DX in the ARRL DX contest and just worried about US stations,
in which case doesn't matter.

AK0M : One of the difficulties on any of the islands seems to be in getting a
good saltwater shot to NA and EU. I've been at a couple of locations where the
EU shot was good, but never have really found a location that provides both. If
Abaco is an option, take a look at Matt Smith's Sand Dollar Villa. Not right on
the beach (though I have set up portable there right on the beach and done
quite well), but very nice accomodations and good for a family holiday. I did
quite a bit of the work of turning that into a simple rent-a-QTH. I've never
had any problem with bringing in equipment, though I have always been flying to
the outer islands there, not GBI or Nassau, and the out island airports are
still pretty much "third-world'ish". Not much security or interest in such
there. If you have an interest in the outer islands rather than GBI, let me
know and I can tell you much more. You might take a look at my web site at
www.ak0m.com.