Re: [CQ-Contest] 15 minute log deadline

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 15 minute log deadline
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:26:26 -0600
> considering that, even now, not everyone uses
> computer logging, what difference does it make
> that not everyone has Internet access.

Hey Paul,

The difference is that in the case of computer logging, very few don't have it,
and virtually all the serious DO have it.  On the other hand, in the case of
internet access, a worthy and reasonable goal of a top competitor is to have a
station out in the middle of nowhere, which often (still, these days) makes
getting an internet connection problematic.  I only just got internet less than
a year ago out at N5OT, which is out in the country, and it is a substantial
pain in the ass.  It takes me more than 15 minutes to drive back home.

We're seeing plenty of posts from cq-contest types saying they don't have the
necessary internet capability at their stations, but no posts saying they still
log with pencil and paper.

Personally I think requiring an internet connection at all competitive stations
is setting the bar too high in 2006.  I bet in 10 years we'll read this and
laugh at the idea that anyone wouldn't have internet in the shack, but not
today.

Mark, N5OT