Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:48:41 -0500
When the packet spotting networks first came into being, there was a
perception (true or not) that they gave an unfair advantage to the
relatively few amateurs using them.  The perception was that there was
enough a discrepancy, among other things, to warrant a separate category
(and yes, I know that wasn't the only reason) in many contests.

I wonder if that is still the case today?

The early spotting networks meant that you had to invest in the hardware (RF
& computers) to access the Cluster or similar system via (usually) 2 meters.
But today, in much of the US and in much of many other countries... yes, I
know, not everywhere and not all... 24/7/365 Internet access has become
easy, reliable, and affordable.  It's just another window in the logging
program for many.

The point I'm driving at... if it is easily available to all, whether or not
they choose to use it, and stops being a major advantage (if indeed it ever
was), then do we still need it as a separate category?

The last few major contests have seen minimal (if any) operation from me,
primarily due to family and other obligations.  When I was QRV, I took
advantage of having the on-line cluster at hand to look for "rare" spots.
But you know what?  I don't think it helped me at all.  For one thing,
knowing how often busted calls get posted, I had a tendency to listen to the
other station(s) longer (before & sometimes after the QSO) to verify I had
my information right.  For another, especially on some of the "rarer" DX, I
quickly found myself immensed in a huge pileup; a few times I found similar
"rarer" DX prior to the spot, worked 'em quickly, and then would see the
pileup descend after the spot was made.  And very often, the spot was being
made by someone with a directional and/or gain antenna, and I was wasting
time listening for someone who (to me) wasn't there, or barely there, or
there no longer.

So, I'm not so convinced now that having the spotting networks at hand is
neccesarily an advantage.  (Band maps, you say?  Maybe.  If they're
accurate, especially after a few minutes, and if those spots don't have some
mini-pileups on top of them, and if the propagation is really there... if if
if)

And if we determine in a few years that they've ceased to be an advantage...
then why worry about them?  If you don't use it and the other op does, he
may actually be putting him/herself at a disadvantage!

In short, I think we're looking at the end of the "assisted" category in a
few years.  IMHO.  YMMV.  VWPBL(STn)

73, ron w3wn