Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: "Jamie Dupree NS3T" <ns3t@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: Ron NØAT <n0at@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:51:16 -0600
Jamie,

The correct comparison should be to compare SO2R unassisted vs. SO1R
assisted.

The SO2R guys don't need spotting assistance because they have the
entire contest to S&P new stations to work.  They don't need to take
their CQ machine off the air while S&Ping new stations.  So SO2R
stations tend to operate unassisted.

The SO1R stations need spotting assistance because they need to S&P
stations at a faster rate.  They can't afford the time to try to get
stations to id.  When SO1R stations take their CQ off the air, they put
themselves at a significant disadvantage.  Spotting assistance helps
SO1R stations increase their score.

I have operated both SO2R unassisted and SO1R assisted.  I always do
better  SO2R unassisted.

73 de Ron NØAT