Re: [CQ-Contest] The Unassisted Myth - Now the Rest of the Story:The Ass

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Unassisted Myth - Now the Rest of the Story:The Assisted Myth (?)
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:57:56 -0500
There have been many postings on this subject I agree with: Jose, Ted, Doug,
Mark, Yuri, to name a few.

Those who recognize my call should know where I stand on this subject - I have
operated virtually every CQWW CW and Phone for the past 25 years, as well as
ARRL DX, IARU and other contests most years. I have done a handful of M/S
efforts from my QTH, guest operated at some M/S, M/2 and M/M stations, but
mostly, I have done single-op UNassisted, SO2R. Once, I did SOA, back around
1990, and the only spotting network was the local, Denver-area, VHF packet
network.

Let me give you a little different perspective, as a SO2R DX contester from the
western USA. We don't get opportunities to run nearly as much as those in the
eastern USA or Europe. The opportunities that we get to run aren't nearly as
productive as those in the eastern USA. At this point in the sunspot cycle, we
get a 6 hour/day running window to JA from 0730Z-1330Z, another 3 hour chance
run JA from 22Z-01Z, and sometimes brief, frantic opportunities to run Europe
for an hour or two in the morning (14Z-17Z). Thus, for the majority of the
contest, we are just another SO1R station doing S&P. The 2nd radio is of no
value when you can't run !  To make matters even worse, the times we are
running
are not very productive on the 2nd radio. During those 6 nighttime hours of
running JA (mostly on 40 meters), I'm just looking on 80 and 160 meters for a
stray Canadian, Caribbean or South American station to show up. During the late
afternoon JA run, I'm trying to use the 2nd radio to work Europe on 40 meters -
but that is only successful if it's a good Europe opening. The best use of the
2nd radio would be during the morning Europe opening - but the problem there is
that with only one band open well to Europe (15 or 20 meters), the 2nd radio is
on a marginal band. I frequently miss "easy" European and Mid-East multipliers
because they don't answer my CQ's, and it's very difficult to find them S&P on
the same band as you are running on.

 From the M/S efforts from my own QTH, I have discovered how advantageous it is
to have the benefit of a spotting network, even without a world-class antenna
farm. You no longer have to worry about missing easy multipliers during short
openings - you can simply point-and-click on them. Having the spotting network
also enables you to work multipliers that are buried in the USA QRM, that you
would never have independently found doing S&P on a 2nd radio. I always
considered myself a pretty good SO2R operator, but doing M/S from my own QTH,
with a spotting network, opened my eyes as to how many mults I was missing,
compared to SO2R.

The point of all of this is that, properly done, being single-op ASSISTED would
be a significant advantage over SO2R UNassisted in this part of the USA.
Personally, I enjoy being UNassisted. I have nothing against having an ASSISTED
category, it's just not my fancy. Those who want to combine them into a single
category, based on the distinction being unenforceable are just plain wrong -
the major contest adjudicators can and do find cheaters. Mostly, they are
quietly reclassified or deleted from the final results, but they are being
found.

73,
Steve, N2IC