[CQ-Contest] ZERO points

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ZERO points
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:13:30 +0000 (GMT)
> k3bu@optonline.net wrote:
> I think more important subjects how to improve our major
> contests, like fixing the ZERO points for own country,
>
> ------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------
>
> It's fascinating that you find the major problem in contesting to be
> something that applies EQUALLY to all contestants and gives no
> advantage to anybody, and yet easily corrected disparities you
> consider not to be a problem.
>
> Sigh.
> Bill, W6WRT

Your really think that ZERO points for own country applies EQUALLY to all
contestants, like to VP9 and W/K/N, or JAs, or OMs etc?

OK, let me 'splain again and once for all, what the "fascination" with my beef
about ZERO pointers.

I presume that way back when CQ WW DX contest started, the idea was how many DX
stations one can work, especially for the US stations and giving DX 3 points
was to encourage them to show up for the contest, they would be in demand
because of bonus points and being multipliers.

Then "funny" thing happened, CQ WW got so popular that became #1 contest, world
top scores and records were being kept and big deal working bunch of DX isn't
anymore big deal. You can work DXCC on one weekend, even on 160. So the contest
became unofficial world championship with really skewed scoring, and Jessie
Jackson would say, discriminatory scoring system, with huge bias against the
populous ham countries. VP9 next door can work 1000 Ws for 2 pointers, but W
can work only couple for multiplier credit and ZILCH points, so is missing
those 1000 QSOs. The point is that in todays situation and status of CQ WW
there is no need for that rule. What? Trying to discourage participation from
US, JA, UA etc. stations by penalizing them for having lotsa hams?

The result is, that US (and other) stations are virtually eliminated from the
world top score boxes, they are handicapped by about minus 60%. The result is
completely lopsided results, not reflecting fine stations and operators from
US. This is the negative effect on score listings and attempt to compare
results and skills.

This sure does not encourage US stations to get on, while Euros are exploding
with activity, because they do not get deprived of working their next door
contesters. The effect of that on US participation is that low bands get very
lonely and there is not much to work, especially for little pistols that would
like to get some runs going when things get dead DX wise. Look at the scores of
top stations on low bands, Euros can work some 1800 QSOs on 160 while top US
can barely work 500 and out of that 150 are ZERO pointers. Next door
Carribbeatniks, are having a ball working pileups of lonely US suckers whole
night. How is that EQUAL??? How does that encourage US participation when it
gets soooo boring by having taboo working stations 2000 miles away on the
continent? In CQ 160 contest US stations can make some 1800 QSOs, would it hurt
CQ WW if we managed to work some 2000 QSOs on 160?

The arguments that CQ WW would turn into Sweepstakes is just uninformed and
silly. Anyone thinks that I would be working US stations and ignoring more
pointer DX? W6 is DX for East coast, yet we are forbidden to work it for a
point. We either call CQs in hope to attract somone who just woke up or wait
for mercy from some DX or multi to show up for couple of multiplier QSOs. It
gets really boring with not much to work, when we could be busy working each
other, just like rest of the world does. This would increase interest and
participation. Proof of that is WPX, where after implementing 1 point for
domestic QSO its popularity and scores just jumped. Did it turn into
Sweepstakes? No, just more fun especially on low bands and US stations have a
chance to show up in top boxes.

Another point is, that we are never at the point that there are too many
stations in the contest and we would not be able to work them, if we could work
our own. I find that second 24 hours bring about half of QSOs than the first
24, so everyone (except Af and SA) could use more activity. What is the danger
of working own country? You think that one would scan page from the Callbook
with 1000s of unique Ws? Those days are over with the present log checking
system.

I understand that some CC members build stations on the other continents and
love to have that 60 or 30% advantage and they would prefer to keep things
intact.
But the reality is that if the contest like CQ WW has achieved the status it
has, then to make it better and more fair scoring system, it is perhaps time to
accomodate the reality and change the scoring system. Any change should be in
the scores increasing direction in order to preserve the records and now, at
low sunspot cycle and new millenium, it would be the best time to do it.

The proposed changes would be to have 1 point for domestic QSOs, 2 points for
own continent and 3 points for the other continet QSOs.
The even better proposal would be to give 3 points to everybody. Those close to
equator or being multipliers will still have the propagation and rarity
advantage but not 60%.

So the net result will be more fair scoring system with more meanigfull and
comparable results and records, more fun, more participation and no
discrimination/penalizing for being big country or having more hams.

No disrespect to those casual contesters that end up down on the totem pole, we
love you, we have been there too and eventually worked our way up by building
stations and honing our skills and we would like to have a way of reasonable
comparison for our efforts. But I seem to see endless discussions especially by
those that we do not see in the top boxes, trying to "fix" this or that, what
is "assisted", real time scoring, well you see what gets trashed on the
reflector, while really important things get categorized as this example.

Can we have some objections from CQ WW CC members why we could not improve our
beloved contest? Or am I just weird lone nut way off the rocker?

Why I still love contesting after 48 years of doing it? Each contest is the new
competition, at 0000 we are all equal, 48 hours later we have a chance to
compare the results of our station building and operating skills. I would love
it even more, if those results were more meanigfull and reflection of the
current status. Ther are many on the DXCC Honor Roll, but there can be only one
record holder or one winner of this or that contest, this is the attraction and
this is why we go nuts few times a year and see how we can improve or beat this
or that.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject and shows that it DOES NOT apply
EQUALLY to all contestants. You might look at it differently, but those that
take it seriously, I believe, would agree with me.

73 and Joyous Christmas!

Yuri, K3BU