[CQ-Contest] Packet has ruined Ham Radio

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet has ruined Ham Radio
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:48:00 -0500
Plenty has been said about Packet's having taken away the challenge (and
thereby discounted the skills) of finding new ones, whether it's new mul'ts or
new QSOs in a Test, or just new "entities" for DXing.  Here are a couple of
other observations.

1.  Back in the old days, when a "new" one showed up the alert op's would get
him first.  The pile-up would build slowly.  After a few minutes (10 or 15),
the pile up would be roaring.  If the DX were not a sharp op, or if he did not
feel like working the pile-up, he would QRT!  Only the quick got him.  With
Packet, the pile-up is aroar after the first spot.  I predicted this about 25
years ago, probably regarding spotting nets, maybe in a note to NCJ.  (I think
that nowadays there are not so many casual DX stations who would attract such
pile-ups.  There are certainly more Expeditions and Contest Stations that are
able to handle the pile-ups.)

2.  I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the DX stations are not IDing as
frequently as they did before Packet.  They know that most of the callers
already have their call sign.

73, Art K3KU
No Packet or SCP at home, but sure do use it at Multi-Multi