Re: [CQ-Contest] A Bold Move

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Bold Move
From: K6VVA <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:23:07 -0800
In my original post, I had proposed the following experimental "Techo"
categories:

 > 1. Single Operator (Assisted or Non-Assisted)
 > 2. Mutli-Single (Assisted or Non-Assisted)
 > 3. Multi-Mutli (Assisted or Non-Assisted)

On second thought, probably ditch the latter as these are already "Big Gun"
players who most likely are less likely to change from the current
category.  So, more awards could be given out to the other category groups.

However, I believe Multi-Single is a viable category, because it *could*
entice some  current Non-SuperStation ops to take advantage of the "more
levelized playing field", and use this as an opportunity to practice
together for the future "Big Time".  Certainly, existing SuperStation
owners looking for new Multi-Multi operator additions would undoubtedly be
looking at the "Techno" category results for new talent finds :-)

Regarding Assisted/Packet, as I was laying on the couch with ice packs on
my hand, wrist & arm again (Tendonitis), THEE Solution came for solving the
problem in ANY categories for those who do not want to be penalized by
being a Packet "Spot-TEE".  It's so simple.  A minor tweak to Packet
cluster configurations that could enable stations to have their callsigns
BLOCKED from being displayed by any Packet Spots made will turn the
trick.  Done deal.  The solution was ***IN*** the Technology
itself.  Amazing how that happens!

So, there is no longer any reason for Contest Sponsors to drag their feet
in the matter of overlooking "Assisted" benefits for Packet
"Spot-EE's".  ANYONE benefiting from a packet spot, in any way whatsoever,
should be classified as "Assisted", and rules should be changed
accordingly.  In varying degrees, of course.  A station getting only 10
spots should not, IMHO, be given the same "Asssisted" treatment as one
getting spotted 300 times.  But once again, Technology (software) can
automatically solve the problem during the scoring processes, after the
Rules Gurus to decide what the appropriate adjustment factors should be.

Technological solutions for Technologically induced problems!

Wow, 2007 promises to be a really great year for Contesting, unless Contest
Sponsors keep dragging their feet in the Leadership of resolving unresolved
issues.

73...

Rick, K6VVA