Re: [CQ-Contest] A Bold Move

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Bold Move
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:32:43 -0800
Hans, K0HB, wrote:

> SS is just fine, thank you.

What I propose can actually make SS a more "fun" experience during what many
have professed to be the "Sunday afternoon dolrums".  There have been previous
posts to this Reflector from some of the Contest operators who stated that they
would "stay in the chair" longer if they had more of an incentive.  Nothing
else changes for operators who do not want to enter the "Techno" category which
is strictly Voluntary.

> You're not proposing a solution to a problem.....  you're proposing to
> remove an attraction of radiosport, mainly that every good contester
> maximizes his advantages and does whatever it takes to tilt the playing
> field in their favor.  "Level playing fields" are for those too lazy to
> gain and exploit advantages.

There have been previous posts to this Reflector from those who are stuck in
CC&R challenged QTH's, that do not have the financial abilities to QSY to a
more Contest-Friendly QTH, but for the reasons stated above, would "stay in the
chair" longer...which means more potential QSOs for everyone.

There have been previous posts to this Reflector from Contesters complaining
about ERP category related "Cheating" and Packet "Cheating".  My proposed
"Experimental Category" is somewhat analogous to "drug testing" in the field of
regular sports.  One would think that the such sporting venues that produce so
many (alleged) "Heros" for young people would not require such drastic
measures.  My proposal would not affect those who chose NOT to enter the
"Experimental Category".  The Techno category would be strictly Voluntary for
those who have already expressed the desire for a "more levelized playing
field".

As much as I'd like to believe that all Contesters are "straight up" players,
reality has proven otherwise.  The failure to acknowledge that serious problems
do exist is exactly why they haven't been solved, and it's apparently more
"convenient" to just keep sweeping the dirt under the carpet and do nothing.
No Leadership.  Contrary to the allegation that an attraction to radiosport
would be removed, it will be just the opposite for the above stated reasons
(more currently disgruntled Contesters staying in the chair longer).

The Contesting Community has an opportunity to regain some lost Integrity,
unless too many remain in a state of Denial and Rationalization.

73...

Rick, K6VVA