Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 05 Jan 2007 10:22:20 -0600
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 08:29, George Fremin III wrote:
>   So over the years I have avoided having
>   these around or setting goals like that - it just did not work for me.

Something that helps for me (though not enough judging from the number
of part-time entries<grin>) is to set very short-term goals.

For example, if I have 367 QSOs, my goal is 400.  Once I have 400 QSOs,
I notice I have 48 mults.  My goal becomes 50 mults.  Once I have 50
mults, I notice my raw score is 78,223; my goal becomes 80,000 points.
By the time I have 80,000 points, I might have 471 QSOs, so the goal
becomes 500.  I keep pushing for the next even number -- there's always
an achievable goal hanging in front of me.  Until with two hours to go,
the goal becomes simply to stay awake until the end of the
contest<grin>!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66