Re: [CQ-Contest] Filter???????

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Filter???????
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:45:10 -0500
I vaguely recall reading about some psycho-acoustic effects involving
listening to sources that are not straight ahead (i.e., equal to both
ears).  The brain exercises some biological form of signal correlation
that takes advantage of phase and power differences when a source is
somewhat off to the side... helping one pick out the interesting
information from the background.  This is a partial explanation of the
"cocktail party effect", in which one listens in on a distant
conversation of interest despite many other things happening in the
immediate vicinity.  For some reason this is harder to do if the source
is straight ahead.

Maybe someone with access to the audiology research world can fill in
more details.

-- Eric K3NA