[CQ-Contest] Interesting Contest Idea....

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Contest Idea....
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:03:46 -0500
On Oct 2, 2006, at 3:58 PM, JAMES HEADRICK wrote:

> The shift from XTAL control to VFO that came after WWII enabled a big
> increase in number of Qs.

I was thinking something similar earlier. I had fun during SKN
working stations on a rock-bound CW transmitter that I had just
finished the week before, and I was reflecting on how much ham radio
had changed since the days when everyone was crystal controlled.

My strategy for SKN was simple -- I called CQ and waited for answers
on my frequency. Long gone are the days when hams would typically
tune around 10-15 kHz for answers to CQs.

But, then it occurred to me -- what if we had a contest like this?
Each operator would pick three frequencies per band that he can
transmit on (his three crystals). Ops would have to tune around for
replies to their CQ.

It would probably drive us modern operators nuts, but it would tend
to spread out the pileups....

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901