Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:28:05 -0600
I saw the goodness of SGP when operating WPX SSB last year
as EI/W5GN with lousy antenna and low power, and the challenge
to the European operators for whom English was a second
language, struggling to get "slash", "stroke", "portable"
in that call, and I could hear then suddenly look at the
SCP and recognize and immediately complete the QSO.

I saw the badness of SGP when operating the recent 160
contest as W5GN on CW with only a hunk of wire at 20 feet,
and low power; I called a station as W5GN, but the station
immediately saw the EI/W5GN entry in the current SCP database,
and he called back with EI/W5GN ? and then for seven times he
tried to make that my call, while I kept repeating my
real call, and refused to send a report until he actually
heard my call.

But one of the most annoying trends to me, and the one
that I fear is the real reason for the decline in ham
radio activity is that all of you are sitting at your computer
now reading this drivel, instead of shutting the computer
down and getting on the air and answering someone's CQ.

73

Barry, W5GN