Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting in 10 years

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting in 10 years
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:00:08 -0500
At 10:49 PM 2/1/07, Jamie Dupree NS3T wrote:

>15 years ago, not many people would have predicted that you could work a
>CW contest without a keyer.  Using just a computer keyboard would have
>been scoffed at, but now it's pretty common.

I don't know about. Fifteen years ago (91/92 season) computer
generated CW had pretty much already pushed keyers and hand-sent CW
into the background. 20 or 25 years ago might be more like it.

An interesting way to put these predictions into perspective is to
ask what has changed over the last 10 years?

To play devil's advocate, I'd suggest that not all that has changed
since 96/97: the internet replaced packet, Windows logging apps
steadily displaced DOS loggers, sound cards became a common
peripheral, RTTY contesting has grown in popularity with increasing
'cross-over'. The top radios back then are still widely used.

Perhaps a decade doesn't bring all that many changes.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu